Update: Completed on August 15th, 2012, 3 days before my 30th birthday!
As I mentioned previously, I am embarking on a 30 before 30 cooking project. Some general guidelines about this project:
- I chose the items based almost entirely on my own personal curiosity to try said dishes – dishes I basically have not attempted before, and haven’t done so because I either didn’t have the proper excuse, or because I thought the projects seemed too complicated/intimidating.
- There are plenty of classically complicated recipes out there that I didn’t include, and I’m okay with that. I don’t really have a desire to make beef wellington, so that didn’t make it on the list.
- Some recipes on the list are probably not all that complicated. I’m okay with that as well. Like I said, this has to do more with my own desires and curiosities, and at the end of the day, it’s about having fun in the kitchen and enjoying the end result.
- I didn’t want to include recipes that would result in an enormous amount of food, because that just seems wasteful. Example: turducken.
- I will also avoid having to purchase too much special equipment. I already have access to a propane torch (thankfully), I already own a stand mixer (also full of thanks on that one), and I may consider buying a dutch oven and/or cast-iron skillet. But I do not plan on buying a pasta maker or novelty bakeware, as an example.
Here is my final list of projects, all of which I plan to tackle before August 2012. I will blog about each experience, and link the items to their corresponding posts once they’re completed. I won’t be going in the exact order listed below, and I aim to cross at least one item off the list every two weeks or so.
Macarons Roast chicken and bread salad (Zuni Cafe recipe) Lattice cherry pie Donuts Pho Naan + other Indian dish Baguettes Hamburgers + homemade buns + learn to grill Boeuf bourguignon Creme brûlée Lemon merengue pie Roast duck Chicken nuggets (Local Lemons’ recipe) Mole Croissants Sourdough bread Tiramisu B’stilla Ravioli Injera + ethiopian dish Souffle Carnitas + tortillas Princess cake Curry paste Tamales Thin Mints Oreos Bagels Gnocchi Baked alaska
Here goes nothing . . .